Sunday, July 31, 2016

My Grandfather's WWII Veteran's Compensation

My grandfather, Lou Tolchin, served in the US Army during WWII.  After the war, Pennsylvania gave compensation to veterans--and my grandfather filed for this compensation.  All of these applications are up on Ancestry, so if you have Pennsylvania family, check it out!
Louis Tolchin WWII Compensation Application, 1950 (page 1)

My grandfather received $300 (in 1950 dollars) for his service.  He served for just under three years--from August 1943 until March 1946.  When he joined, he was living on Webster Avenue in Pittsburgh (with his mother); by 1950, he was married and living on Powers Street in McKeesport.  (Now when the 1950 census is released, I'll know where to look for him--this is a new street address for me, as soon after my grandparents were living on Washington Street in McKeesport.)
Louis Tolchin WWII Compensation Application, 1950 (page 2)
He listed my grandmother Minnie as his beneficiary.  My great grandmother Mollie was living in Glassport by that time with her daughter Ruth.  (My grandfather's father had passed away when my grandfather was still in high school).

My grandfather signed the application, and I assume the $300 arrived some time after that!

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

4 comments:

  1. I found my father's application. It was very moving to see his young boyish signature. He's now 89!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, can you help me to find the same for my family. Just direct link to :All of these applications are up on Ancestry, so if you have Pennsylvania family,"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3147

      Delete