Sunday, January 22, 2017

Updated Haplogroup Tree

Last March, I created a haplogroup tree, which looked at the haplogroups (via both y- and mtDNA) that my direct ancestors would have had.  With a few more relatives taking tests, I've been able to fill in a few blanks; here's what I have so far:


On this updated chart, some of the white boxes will stay white for the foreseeable future, since I don't know of any good living candidates with who would have inherited that yDNA or mtDNA.  Others hopefully will be filled in at some point in the future!

Are you related to me and want to help fill this in?  Contact me, and I'll let you know the best test to get for your situation.

Note:  I'm on Twitter.  Follow me (@larasgenealogy).

Want to get future blog posts emailed to you automatically?
Enter your email address:

7 comments:

  1. I like this idea, Lara. Do you primarily test your cousins with a particular company (FTDNA or 23andMe?)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I test them with FTDNA. I like the more detailed haplogroup information and the fact that they store the sample, so if more tests are available in the future, we can run them easily.

      Delete
  2. I love your haplogroup tree! My Y haplogroup is also J-M172, but my paternal ancestors were from Bolivia since 1800 until my dad, before that date I don't have more informations, mainly cause my direct paternal ancestor, Felipe Castello, had his father as unknown. I knew that this haplogroup was usual among jew people, but I didn't know how usual it was. But now, seeing your tree I can have a better view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting--perhaps your family is descended from Conversos? As you can see, it's a haplogroup for two completely separate branches of my family--both of which have lots and lots of exact and one-off matches.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if my family is descended from conversos, what is interesting, I inherited about 45% of Native American, and it's only through my dad because my mother is about 100% European, her parents were Dutch (they were also German, Ticinese and French descendants)

      Delete
  3. So the FTDNA test you are saying -the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends what it is you're looking for. For detailed haplogroups, yes, it's the best.

      Delete